How To Cope With Pain Blog header image 1


Advertising:  Include 1) information about your product or company and 2) what kind of advertising you’re interest in (eg. a link on the website or a post; a banner ad). I’ll send you our advertising rates.

Guest Articles/Posts:

  1. A guest post must be original and only posted here. It can’t be already published on another blog or website.
  2. Please link to at least 1 other How to Cope with Pain article in your submission.
  3. An informal, conversational style is best. I may edit your submission so it fits best at How to Cope with Pain.
  4. If approved, your submission(s) will be published within 2 months.
  5. A guest post must be about a general topic or something that would interest my readers. It’s not designed to be an advertisement for products or companies.

Contest Entry:  Write “CONTEST” at the start of your entry below.

Other - I’m unable to give medical advice to individual patients.  Please see the website disclaimer for additional limitations.  If there’s another reason you’d like contact me, please submit it here.

Thank you!


26 responses so far ↓

  • Laila Antoun // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:43 am

    Please tell me the name of a clinic in Germany that does this. I am desperate with pain and depression. Please



  • How to Cope with Pain // Jan 24, 2014 at 1:57 am

    Laila, I don’t know the name. You can probably find it by Googling it. You should also talk with your pain medicine doctor to ask about levels of treatment leading up to that, that you could do in the US. Good luck!

  • jon // Mar 11, 2014 at 5:01 pm

    i would like the name of a psyciatrist or other mental problem doctor in my area, this dr has to be a pain specialist

  • How to Cope with Pain // Mar 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm

    Hi Jon,
    Here are some suggestions for finding a good person in your area:
    1. Call the academic health centers near where you live and ask for their pain department. You could also call the psychiatry departments at academic health centers and ask if anyone specializes in chronic pain. I suggest academic services, rather than just any hospital, as these are where people do research and train students, and may be more likely to be up-do-date on treatment options.
    2. Check the “find a provider” links on some of the national pain organization websites (some of these are linked on my website) and see who’s in your area. Many of these websites will let you enter your city, what type of provider you want, etc.
    3. Ask your medical pain management doctor, such as a neurologist, or your primary care doctor, about a psychiatry referral. Hopefully this person has a colleague he or she refers to.
    I hope that’s helpful.

  • Sondy // May 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm

    I have read that SNRI meds have many, many harsh, huge side-effects, especially weight gain. You did not mention that in the article. Isn’t that a valid concern?

  • How to Cope with Pain // May 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm

    It can be a concern for some of the medications, but not all of them.

  • September Pain News | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Sep 23, 2014 at 11:52 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Laura Silverstein // Nov 12, 2014 at 12:34 pm

    Thank you for setting up this website. There is so much valuable information on here, I will be forwarding the link to many of my clients who suffer from chronic pain as well as general anxiety.

  • Dave // Nov 27, 2014 at 7:06 pm

    There Is a lot of great information on this website. I recently published a book called Think away your pain and for people who have are having trouble finding answers an approach that focuses on the brain and transforming neural pathways that have been established in chronic pain has proven very helpful to thousands of people.

  • Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015 | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 22, 2014 at 6:32 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Here’s An Easier Way To Relax, So You Don’t Have To Make That Daily Trek To Your Yogi In The Himalayas | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 27, 2014 at 9:32 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Do You Know These 8 Great (But Hidden!) Pain Websites? Here’s #5 | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 27, 2014 at 9:33 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Search No More For That Needle In A Haystack – Here’s How To Find The Best MD For Your Pain | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 27, 2014 at 9:46 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Do You Know These 8 Great (But Hidden!) Pain Websites? Here’s #7 | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 27, 2014 at 10:02 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Great Pain Blogs | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 31, 2014 at 5:15 pm

    […] Contact […]

  • New Pain-Related Sites You Might Like | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Dec 31, 2014 at 5:21 pm

    […] Contact […]

  • A Friend to Your Back | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Jan 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm

    […] Contact […]

  • An Introduction to Trigger Points | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Jan 11, 2015 at 5:42 pm

    […] Contact […]

  • Write Something to Share Contest | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Jan 12, 2015 at 6:47 am

    […] Contact […]

  • “Write Something to Share” Contest Reminder | How To Cope With Pain Blog // Jan 19, 2015 at 6:39 am

    […] Contact […]

  • Barbara // Jan 22, 2015 at 1:20 pm

    Let’s Reframe What It Means to Complain

    Complaining has a bad rap.

    The definition given to complain includes: expressing dissatisfaction, pain, censure resentment; to find fault. A pretty negative definition.

    What if instead of complain, we used the term share, or repair, or even renew.

    When you have a chronic illness you can spend a lot of time and energy handling your care regimen, your exhaustion, and your pain. On top of that, you need to manage your roster of daily responsibilities and chores; and also produce the emotional steam needed to stay just six inches ahead of your pain so you can function.

    Sometimes complaining serves as the necessary release valve so you don’t combust. One or two gripes expressed out loud can help you renew flagging energy. Energy that had served to contain distress can be released and redirected toward fortitude.

    I have found that saying, “I can’t stand this pain another minute,” helps me to stand it for a lot longer. And after I say that, if my partner holds my hand and says, “I know,” we can both stand it together.

    Sometimes complaining is connecting.

    When someone asks you, “How are you?” instead of answering with the expected, perfunctory, “OK,” sometimes saying, “Not so good today,” or “I’m actually having a bad day,” is honesty. You’re not deflecting the asker with a token response. And if you then follow up your answer with, “I really appreciate your asking,” you have made a genuine connection that will hopefully have more meaning for both parties.

    I’m not suggesting you do this with your Starbucks barista or Olive Garden waitperson. But why not with your friend, colleague, or cousin. And certainly with your partner.

    In fact trying to keep your state a secret from your partner by not complaining is misplaced kindness. It cheats both of you of a chance to connect — the ill partner doesn’t get empathy and the well partner doesn’t get a chance to show understanding. And besides, it doesn’t work.

    So let’s reframe complain. Complain is share and repair and renew.

  • Barbara // Jan 22, 2015 at 1:21 pm

    sorry _ I forgot to use the word Contest in the title. This article is meant for the Write Something to Share Contest

  • Amber // Jan 22, 2015 at 5:46 pm


    “We may not look sick, but turn our bodies inside out and they would tell different stories.”
    – Wade Sutherland

  • Amber // Jan 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm


  • George T. // Jan 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm

    Chronic Pain –Try it on!

    Having just watched two adults on YouTube attempt to deal with simulated dementia, which left them crying and angry, I wonder if we could make a chronic pain simulator….? Think you know what it is like to live with pain? Try this test and learn a life lesson. And yes, I added a little humor –trust me you are going to need it.
    1) Get a small backpack or fanny pack.
    2) Fill it with gravel, sand and newspaper.
    3) Zip it shut and glue the zipper closed with hot glue or super glue.
    4) Put the pack on around your torso, any way you like.
    5) Glue, tape or zip-tie the clip on the pack’s belt shut. Sealing the zipper will just make it so it takes some time to remove: I want you to think about what you are doing as you attempt to remove the pack because people with chronic pain cannot get away from their disease. They get no coffee break, no vacation, no time off. Not even day, one hour, or one minute.
    6) Now that you are wearing the pack, go about your normal daily routine. BUT you cannot remove the pack at any time. Yes, this means when you drive or walk, when you shower, go to work, attend social events, sleep or change. Rules are rules, you cannot take it off even for five minutes to go to the bathroom. (Sorry) Obviously this will mean a few things: first you will have to get creative to solve many problems, second you will have to deal with your emotions. I will leave the third, fourth, fifth…things for you to notice and deal with. Keeping notes helps.
    1) If you are strong enough to get past several hours, I salute you for your effort and profoundly thank you for attempting this trail. A big hug.
    2) If you make it past 24 hours, my mouth is agape, with a warm handshake and seriously profound gratitude, I am amazed at your power and resilience. You have certainly earned a gold star. A bear hug.
    3) If you manage to get through two or three sleepless nights, the sore spots and bulge under your cloths didn’t garner too many stares or lost friends, you have earned two gold stars. By now I am groveling on the floor, kissing your shoes and weeping kind gratitude. Rose petals shower your path.
    4) If you can manage five to seven days…you must be either a Navy SEAL or just stepped off an alien spacecraft. I am no longer handing out stars but putting you in for the National Medal of Honor or the Nobel Peace Prize. Your choice. The Dali Lama calls, the President and Pope have invited you to stay over, world leaders and common folk flock to meet you and honor your merest wishes.
    5) If you can leave it on for the rest of your live, then you have earned yourself the highest honor and accolades. You are one of the most humble and meek individuals on the planet. Your inner strength and wisdom are read of in famous religious texts. You are part of a unique and special group: you are disabled by chronic pain.

    “God doesn’t just give chronic pain to anyone, he chooses only the strongest.”
    –Anonymous internet quote

  • Brian // Jan 29, 2015 at 2:43 am

    How do I submit PDF file of a healing poem I wrote, with embedded voice audio? I would like for people to hear it in cadence/inflection for it’s meaning. It came to me complete at a time of deep questioning.
    I would like to share it in that form.

Leave a Comment